Before you start your search for a website design company, be sure to take the time to do some self discovery. Outline the reasons for the project, its desired goals as well as a high level list of requirements. Understanding your own needs from get go will enable you prioritize the points below so you can get the best fit.
Type of Agency
- Do I need a boutique, specialty or a large full-service agency?
- Do I need the firm to have industry expertise (financial services, healthcare, etc.)?
- Does my web site serve a specific purpose (eCommerce, Community, etc, etc.)?
- Do I have offline marketing activities that need to be considered?
- Do I need access to a broad set of skills?
- Can they meet with me face to face when warranted?
Website Design Portfolio
- Can you provide relevant design examples?
- Are the sites actually in use?
- Can I see the attention to detail?
- Does the design carry onto the underneath pages?
- Did the agency adapt their style to the business?
Experience of the Website Design Company
- How long have they been in business?
- How many clients do they have?
- Do they have experience in relevant Content Management System?
- Can I speak to at least three current references?
- What are the backgrounds of the team members?
- What type of tools do you use?
- Do you specialize in any particular technologies?
- Do I have branding and visual design guidelines to provide the agency?
The Website Design Team
- What people from my organization need to be part of the process?
- What roles will make up the agency team and what are there responsibilities?
- Will I have a central point of contact?
- Does the agency have a documented process?
- Can I see sample deliverables?
- How many design comps are included?
- How does the revision process work?
- Is training included?
- Do I need usability testing, and if so, at what level?
Website Design Pricing
- What budget parameters have been set?
- What is the structure of pricing (fixed fee, hourly, etc.)?
- Are there ongoing fees involved?
- What kind of support do I need moving forward (maintenance, online marketing, etc.)?
Got any good ones I missed? Please drop us a line in the comments section below.